The Council works towards several goals:
- It represents UNOG staff to management in New York and Geneva as well as to management in individual offices and departments on a range of issues.
- It works to promote the welfare and rights of staff.
- It keeps staff informed of developments affecting them.
- It ensures staff interests are reflected in policies and conditions of service, by participating in the Staff-Management Coordination Committee and, through the CCISUA federation of staff unions, in the International Civil Service Commission.
- It provides advice, mediation and legal assistance to staff who have been the victims of unjust decisions, bad management, retaliation, discrimination, harassment and prohibited conduct.
- It participates in the review bodies to ensure selection decisions are made correctly as well as the ePas rebuttal, special post adjustment and related committees.
- It ensures staff interests are represented in the mutual health insurance, the MEC savings and loans mutual, and catering services.
- It contributes to the staff benevolent fund.
- It oversees and supports staff bodies such as staff clubs and societies, SAFI and its staff magazine UN Today.